By Hallie Jette
Monday was a rainy day, so we did a lot of work in the shop. The oil needed to be changed in one of the tractors, so I got to learn how to do it. While we were waiting for the oil to drain, we took the fenders off the steer axle as well. We tried to beat the rain because there were a few things that had to get done outside, like bringing a cow-calf pair in. The cow needed her feet to be trimmed due to an abscess that blew out and her toes began to cross from overgrowth. Of course, it didn’t start pouring until we got out to the pair. After we got her feet trimmed, we took the tractor to the water house to wash it. When we got back, I was tasked with cleaning the windows, both inside and out.
Tuesday was also kind of rainy in the morning. When I got to the main house, Terri showed Jake, the ranch hand, and me how to use AgriWebb. AgriWebb is software the Kane’s use for ranch management. Then David took Jake and me around the two pastures that we were going to fence. When we got back to the house, I changed the oil in one of the pickups and learned how to change the power take-off (PTO) shaft from 1000 to 540 on the tractor.
The rest of the week we fenced and worked around E-U and overall has been a great week of learning.