This week was a very fun and eventful week. Starting on Monday, July 13, Kyle (one of the hands) and I helped Nate (the Kane’s youngest son) by going out to Wolf Creek to do a few things to get ready for a large cattle move. We rounded up cattle that were lame or not paired up and then traveled along Smith Creek to set up a water tank in the place that we were going to move the cattle to.
The big cattle move began on Tuesday and ended on Thursday. I helped out Terri with lunches and I helped David with moving cattle when they needed an extra hand. The first move was from their property in Parkman, WY, to the water tank near Skirt Creek. The second day was the easiest. The cattle were able to move up the mountain to a certain point, which made moving the cows a breeze. The third and final day was the most complicated due to lack of reception and having to drive up steep and rocky roads. On this day we had the most help as well, since Terri and I are great with logistics.
On Friday, July 17, Kyle and I checked water tanks, repaired any tanks that needed it and started on the invasive species work on other parts of the ranch. Instead of spraying for leafy spurge, David uses bugs called “flea beetles.” The beetles are set on large, thick patches of spurge and then over time they will eat the patches completely.
This was a new form of control for me since I learned in school and while working for companies that spraying and reseeding is usually the faster and more obvious choice. I am doing more research on flea beetles and will add this knowledge to future control methods if applicable.