The week started off as a regular week. I re-sprayed a couple fields in front of the pastures, so that Larry and I can start planning for the back pastures. This is how Monday and Tuesday went.
On Wednesday, Larry and I went to the back four pastures and started to scope out what spraying would look like. We started with the windmill and elk pastures, which are the pastures furthest away from HWY 16. We looked for grasshoppers and leafy spurge. Most of the spurge we found were in draws and hills. The grasshoppers were more sporadic, since they can actually move around. We found little to no grasshoppers in any of the four back pastures.
Larry then sent me out to finish scouting those two pastures so we could move on to the front two pastures. In the elk and windmill pastures, I found large patches of spurge, in only a few areas. I didn’t find enough grasshoppers to make it a concern.
The next day we scouted the front two pastures, which are called the south and center pastures. These two areas had exponentially more leafy spurge and grasshoppers. However, there still were not enough grasshoppers to warrant spraying for the species.
On the last day (Friday), Larry and I brought up a map of his property to label the areas where we needed to spray. We needed to label where we found invasive species to provide these details to Lander Weed & Pest, in order for them to spray these areas. We will get an answer sometime next week on how they will spray and the chemical they will be using.