My second week started on May 26, following the Vignaroli’s camping trip. On Tuesday, Larry and I began clearing more debris from fence on the south side of the property, then fixed the fence to be sturdier and better prepared for when the river floods again. This took most of the day, but near the day’s end we scoped out spots to spray weeds when the weather permitted.
On May 27, Larry sent me out to the bull pasture to do spit repairs for fencing. I would reapply clips, stretch wire and replace posts to make the fence “like new”. This project extended into fields #3 and #12, which I finished the next day.
On the next day, Larry and I finally found time to spray. Around noon, the wind was low enough to spray fields #3, #10 and #11. This took the rest of the day. I learned more in detail—compared to my last internship—about application rates and better methods to conserve chemical.
On May 29, Larry and I finished field #3 and were able to see our progress from Thursday’s application. This week seemed longer due to the number of hours spent repairing fence, mixing chemical and spraying, but it was full of lessons learned.
Larry has taught me more about application rates, chemical conservation and land ownership than a company or contracting agency would have.